[dns-operations] When TLDs have apex A records

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sat Jul 4 00:51:32 UTC 2009

On Jul 3, 2009, at 5:35 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
>>> i hear icann, at their meddling best, has now outlawed that.  so i
>>> think i'll probably put one or two in when i get a spare moment.
>> Didn't know you were such a fan of SiteFinder.
> am not.  but icann is acting like the tsa.  someone had a bit of
> explosive in their shoe, so shoes are now anathma.  as the joke goes,
> luckily it was not a bomb in his undies.

I believe there is a bit of a difference between the general populace
who travels by air and those who will be applying for new TLDs.  Guess
you have more faith in the folk that will be applying for new gTLDs
than I.

>    Proposed guideline: If you want to use wildcards in your zone and
>    understand the risks, go ahead, but only do so with the informed
>    consent of the entities that are delegated within your zone.

I'd observe that the people who are affected by wildcards at the top
level aren't generally the people in the zone.  How are you going to
get the informed consent of people who make typos?

Regards,
-drc