[dns-operations] i've got a conflict of interest, can a non-implementor answer this?

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Wed Jan 14 09:07:03 UTC 2009

FRLinux <frlinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Paul Vixie <vixie at isc.org> wrote:
> > anything i might say would be seen as self serving, so i hope that others
> > here who are not DNS implementors will add professionally worded comments
> > to this article explaining your views about the need for critical
> > infrastructure to have some open source mixed into it.
>
> Hello,
>
> This is my first post to this list which I have been reading for quite
> some time now. I qualify as a non implementor and strongly disagree
> with their view stating that using a non opensource product is the
> best approach. Most of my DNS servers are OpenBSD boxes and all of
> them (including the Linux ones) use Bind 9.x. Bind is that product I
> would not only recommend over any commercial solution but would also
> certify in any mission critical environment.

Anyone who is doubting the strength of BIND should take a look at what
root servers are running.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_nameserver

If that is *not* a mission critical environment, I don't know what else
is.  I think Mr. Tovar really doesn't understand the legacy and power of
Open Source solutions.  We are running BIND 9.x on FreeBSD and are
extremely happy with the flexibility it gives us.  Thank you Paul and
the BIND implementors.

--Andy