[dns-operations] i've got a conflict of interest, can a non-implementor answer this?

FRLinux frlinux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 00:17:05 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Paul Vixie <vixie at isc.org> wrote:
> anything i might say would be seen as self serving, so i hope that others
> here who are not DNS implementors will add professionally worded comments
> to this article explaining your views about the need for critical
> infrastructure to have some open source mixed into it.

Hello,

This is my first post to this list which I have been reading for quite
some time now. I qualify as a non implementor and strongly disagree
with their view stating that using a non opensource product is the
best approach. Most of my DNS servers are OpenBSD boxes and all of
them (including the Linux ones) use Bind 9.x. Bind is that product I
would not only recommend over any commercial solution but would also
certify in any mission critical environment. Granted I work for the
public service (small university), we have a lot of freedom in terms
of implementation but even in the previous commercial places I worked,
we also used Bind. I cannot see a single reason why such a product
could not be used even in a sensitive structure. Bind is mission
critical to us and works well, very well.

My 2 cents, (and thanks for all the posts, keep learning more about
DNS implementations just reading through :)
Steph