[dns-operations] No public calendar for the root signing deployment

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Dec 10 09:57:57 UTC 2009

Planning to inform the French Internet community about the incoming
deployment of DNSSEC in the root (and the potential risks for those
who still refuse responses >512), I searched "official" Web pages
describing the process and a detailed calendar. Except the slides from
RIPE/Lisbon and IETF/Hiroshima talks, I discovered nothing:

* Nothing on <http://www.root-servers.org/>

* Almost nothing on <http://www.icann.org/> (only an old blog entry at
<http://blog.icann.org/2009/10/dnssec-signed-root-by-july-1-2010/>)

* Almost nothing on <http://www.verisign.com/> (one of the few
mentions is
<http://www.verisign.com/domain-name-services/domain-information-center/dnssec-resource-center/implementation/>)

* Nothing on <http://www.ntia.doc.gov/>

Isn't it strange that such an important technical change takes place
without information of the millions of system and network
administrators in the world? There are only a few weeks left before
the first server is signed. And, in at least one case, people I tried
to warn about the >512 issue were skeptical "We checked on ICANN Web
site and there is nothing".