[dns-operations] After Google Mail, Google Docs, Google Wave... Google DNS

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Dec 4 21:52:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 08:57 -0500, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 10:09:45AM +1000, Noel Butler wrote:
> > But that wont stop any of your users from using them...
>
> Yes, what we need is more ISPs screwing with users' packets and
> preventing them going where they want.  It's worked so well so far.

Only ever done it once before, it worked rather nicely, I guess you have
nothing to do with an ISP so wouldnt understand, if you did you, would
understand.

I make NO apologies for doing what I do for the benefit of our users and
support staff.

colo box no anycasting effect:
~$ dig www.com @8.8.8.8
;; Query time: 901 msec

my desktop box
~$ dig www.com
;; Query time: 1 msec

...so... WTF is the benefit in using google DNS?  maybe if you U.S based
its advantageous, but if if your like us and far away then hardly.
especially with websites that insist on laoding up 30 different images
all offsite :)