[dns-operations] William Allen Simpson: [dnsext] Signing the root with SHA-1 by Sep 1st

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Aug 9 22:40:08 UTC 2009

On Aug 8 2009, Paul Vixie wrote:

>some operational content was seen over on the protocol-specific list today:

I admit I have been somewhat bemused by that thread on namedroppers: since
when was that the right place to discuss DNS operational issues? (and this
surely is one). I am also quite unclear on whether anyone there is speaking
authoritatively on behalf of an organisation that can actually cause the
root zone to be signed, on 1 September or on any other day.

William Allen Simpson <william.allen.simpson at gmail.com> is reported as
writing:

>> I'm proposing Sep 1st.
>>
>> My rationale is that educational institutions will be started, or ready
>> to start shortly thereafter.  They are already dealing with new students,
>> and help desks will be able to give strong feedback on any problems.

That's so parochial that it is almost funny. I can assure you that Sep 1
is almost as dead a time as you can get at this educational institution.
And why are educational institutions of any special relevance anyway?

--
Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing Service,
Email: cet1 at ucs.cam.ac.uk    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QH,