[dns-operations] Any info on UltraDNS (Neustar/Register.com) outage on Apr 1 - Apr 2/3 ?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Apr 9 07:22:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 03:24:13PM +0200,
 Ond?ej Surý <ondrej.sury at nic.cz> wrote
 a message of 25 lines which said:

> I have received some info about registrer.com under DDoS last week,
> but it seems that no list I am subscribed to noticed. And it seemed
> to be pretty major (two? day outage). Also members portal is silent.
>
> Could someone who knows more clarify and provide more info?

I don't have hard technical info. But here is what I have:

Raw facts (.CA used as an example):
http://dnsmon.ripe.net/dns-servmon/domain/plot?domain=ca;tstart=1238025600;tstop=1238630399;af=ipv4

For executives:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/033109-ultradns-service-attacked.html?t51hb

A good troll by a competitor:
http://dynamicnetworkservices.com/journal/UltraDNSOutageCausesMultipleWebsiteFailures

Reply by UltraDNS:
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090402_neustar_ultradns_partial_outage_dyndns_heat/

What follows is a personal troll, you may skip it if you want the
discussion to remain calm and professional:

Giving the FUD-based marketing of UltraDNS, it is funny to see a
competitor giving them a taste of their own medecine. (See Mark
Jeftovic's excellent comment in the CircleID discussion.)