[dns-operations] Unplanned DLV zone outage on 2009-Apr-06

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Apr 7 04:48:05 UTC 2009

> you said that isc's trust model for dlv was broken, and that's the
> trust model i want to know if we can agree is broken and then work
> together on fixing.

let me try again, i do not think it can be fixed.  this is what i was
trying to say in the following:

>> imiho, we can not do that without recreating the iana.  and the iana
>> we have works pretty well, especially if we can get it detached from
>> the usg and the icann.  so fix it rather than rediscovering how such
>> things get broken.

we need to fix the remaining issues with the iana not try to supplant
it.  in attempting to build a trust model to supplant it, we will
rediscover why the iana is what/how it is.

when george says to me "harry's widgets are too expensive.  i can do
them for half the price." nine times out of ten, george is gonna
discover why harry's widgets are priced the way they are.  the devil is
in the details.

randy