[dns-operations] Google Chrome Pre-Caching

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 4 00:22:49 UTC 2008

>>> www.cnn.co
>>> www.cnn.com
>>>
>>> Similar behavior is seen for other requests (www.news.com, www.espn.com,
>>> www.timewarner.com, etc).
>>
>> Oh my.
>
> Indeed.  My question is if there's a sluggish DNS response, will the
> users start to collectively cry that 'their Internet is down' and flood
> the support lines?  Or perhaps users will think in those cases that
> Google Chrome is just to slow and part with it....
>
> I shudder to think what effect it has with internationalized DNS. :-)

Here's another one to check out:

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=96788

If your users tend to browse sites with lots of links, or if their
default pages are have lots of links, your customer-facing DNS servers
will get lots of DNS queries.  We were able to verify the behavior by
having my boss load the default page for www.berkeley.edu.  His machine
immediately queried for the hostnames for *all* of the links on that
page, even though he visited not one of them.

I don't know if any other browsers do this, but Firefox for *BSD
definitely appears not to, and I suspect few others do.

michael