[dns-operations] UPDATED ROOT ZONE FILE: 2008-05-26-01

John Palmer (NANOG Acct) nanog2 at adns.net
Tue May 27 01:04:22 UTC 2008

OK, the first reasonable response.

The reason that I publish the notice is that there are alot of commentary
lines that talk about what changes were made.

This root was populated from Public-Root.com (Herman Xennt) and
there are alot of "dead" tlds in zone.

These updates are notices of changes to remove/adjust the dead/misconfigured
TLDs from the zone. It is VERY important that these notices get widespread
visibility since TLD holders need to be informed of updates/changes that
affect their customers. This data is not in the DNS except in TXT records
for the affected TLDs and unless you're looking for TXT records, you
won't see the notices.

I can see people getting upset about notices that can get wordy, especially
with the amount of junk mail out there today and I'm certainly willing to
stop the verbose notices.

So, what is the consensus: A short notice each month with a link to the
change
log?  I get the impression that folks don't like the long version.

John