[dns-operations] renesys blog: Identity Theft Hits the Root Name Servers

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed May 21 14:49:40 UTC 2008

On May 21, 2008, at 12:43 AM, Michael Sinatra wrote:
> I am still wondering if there is enough breakage here to warrant the
> level of fix being proposed.

We've just had a root server renumbering event.  After 6 months, I'm
told the old IP address continued to receive around O(5000) queries
per second.  After 10 years, old root server address still receive
O(100) queries per second.

We also just had the experience of an IP address formerly used for
root servers being assigned to a private third party with no oversight
whatsoever.

Seems pretty broken to me.

Regards,
-drc