[dns-operations] renesys blog: Identity Theft Hits the Root Name Servers

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Tue May 20 12:58:02 UTC 2008

>http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/05/identity_theft_hits_the_root_n_1.shtml
>http://blog.icann.org/?p=309
>http://www.communitydns.eu/Old-L.html

What I question is "how is this identity theft?"

If there was an infraction, my guess is that it's in the
illegal/inappropriate redistribution of the ICANN (copyrighted?) root
zone.  I just don't see the need to pull in a "media darling" term to
describe the situation.

 From my memory, I went to rs.internic.net and got a copy of the root
zone.  On the way in, I don't see any access restrictions until I see
this inside the root.zone file:

;File start: 99133
; The use of the Data contained in Verisign Inc.'s aggregated
; .com, and .net top-level domain zone files (including the checksum
; files) is subject to the restrictions described in the access Agreement
; with Verisign Inc.

But that seems to not cover the root zone - the root is not a "TLD"
at least in some interpretations.  And, the notice doesn't give a
clear indication where the access agreement can be found.  (I went to
"internic.net" and not a domain with "Verisign" in the name.)

If the root zone is not copyrighted, what was the malfeasance?

The reason I am bringing this up is, while I don't agree with the
maintaining of a DNS server purporting to be a root server (was the
AA bit set?) outside of recognized and public agreement, if the rules
for who is and who is not allowed to answer with root zone data is
not clear, the system is vulnerable to abuse.