[dns-operations] renesys blog: Securing the Root

Duane Wessels wessels at packet-pushers.com
Mon Jun 2 16:41:46 UTC 2008

At http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/06/securing_the_root.shtml
Renesys takes a look at their historical BGP data to see if there
have been other rouge announcments of root server address space:

     As for originations, A, C, D, E, J, K and L (the new one) had
     only those originations listed in the table over the past 12
     months. Toward the end of last year, both F-root prefixes were
     announced for a time from AS 1280, which is also registered to
     ISC. On 23 March 2008, one of our peers (who shall remain
     nameless) announced all of the B, F, G and H root /24s, as well
     as the H root /16, for about 2.5 hours, but none of these
     announcements propagated. On 19 March 2008, the I-root /24
     stopped being announced from AS 29216 and started being announced
     from 8674. Then quite curiously, on 19 April 2008, we saw the
     I-root /24 announced from AS 2611, AS 8674, and AS 29216. AS
     2611 is registered to Belnet in Belgium and their announcement
     of the I-root was seen worldwide for about 30 minutes. On 20
     May 2007, the M-root /24 was briefly announced from AS 2500,
     which is also registered to the WIDE Project in Japan.

Duane W.