[dns-operations] DNS NAT Translation Timeouts

Brian Dickson briand at ca.afilias.info
Thu Jul 31 00:01:55 UTC 2008

Ondřej Surý wrote:
> Hi,
>
> somebody correct me if I am wrong.
>
> If you have cache-only -> forwarder situation, you can stay with one
> source port for all queries
> and add TSIG between these two (and more) servers.  That way you can
> redirect the load to servers,
> where you can scale better.  (But of course it depends on your setup...)

Or one can observe:

The firewall in this case, will only block *incorrect* guesses to the
"birthday" problem for
poisoning the cache.

It will, by definition, *allow* correct guesses, and thus, is not really
adding any value.

Since the server is already on a DMZ, you may as well just bite the
bullet, and drop a link
to the "outside the firewall" switch, add appropriate interface IP(s)
and IPv6(s), and be done
with it.

Yes, it will give security guys conniptions,  but that is what DMZs are
*for*. If the firewall
can't do blind forwarding of UDP with no state, it deserves to be
bypassed...

Brian