[dns-operations] DNS NAT Translation Timeouts

Ondřej Surý ondrej.sury at nic.cz
Wed Jul 30 23:37:51 UTC 2008

Hi,

somebody correct me if I am wrong.

If you have cache-only -> forwarder situation, you can stay with one
source port for all queries
and add TSIG between these two (and more) servers.  That way you can
redirect the load to servers,
where you can scale better.  (But of course it depends on your setup...)

And to answer your questions:

> Questions:
>   What should be the appropriate NAT translation timeout?
>   What is the minimum timeout I can safely set?

Set it according to your setup and according to your needs.  We are
talking about internal-external
caching server communication, so it's more predictable, but you are
still affected by queries from
external to authoritative servers (internal has to wait for external).

So I would say - leave it at 10 seconds and watch log files for a
while.  Both from routers
and from servers.  If you see lots of timeouts - rise the number, if
you see few timeouts/retries
- lower the number.

Ondrej.

2008/7/30 Jon Kibler <Jon.Kibler at aset.com>:

 Ondřej Surý
 technický ředitel/Chief Technical Officer
 CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o. -- .cz domain registry
 Americká 23,120 00 Praha 2,Czech Republic
 mailto:ondrej.sury at nic.cz http://nic.cz/
 sip:ondrej.sury at nic.cz tel:+420.222745110
 mob:+420.739013699 fax:+420.222745112