[dns-operations] All Too Quiet?

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Wed Jul 30 17:31:37 UTC 2008

> http://www.pcworld.com/article/149126/2008/07/.html

i continue to be offended by such drivel as:

	"It's funny," he said. "I got owned."

it is NOT funny.  ironic perhaps given that it was this person
in particular, but not "funny" unless one thinks that the fact
that AT&T's nameserver got poisoned by by-now-trivial means and
that its customers were misdirected to a proxy that looked a lot
like the page the customer thought they were going to, is funny.

what if it had been somebody's mom rather than h.d.moore?  and
what if it had been that mom's bank rather than www.google.com?

why "offended", you say?  because to call this "funny" trivializes
it, which is i suppose the logical progression after denying it,
whereas what we need is to Get The Rest Of The Nameservers Patched
and what we need for that is well-organized PANIC, not humour.

believed to be clean.