[dns-operations] anybody here from GDNS?

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Thu Jul 24 17:23:52 UTC 2008

On Jul 15, 2008, at 8:42 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
> while i generally agree, i know that burning IPv4 address space for
> this
> kind of functional separation isn't always possible and is
> controversial
> given the looming shortage.  so until IPv6 somehow becomes
> prevalent, i'm
> recommending "views."

My $EMPLOYER has the hardest line about IP allocation I've ever seen
(because there's an extremist at the IP desk -- ie, ME!)  Most ARIN
members applaud my diligence to the philosophy but can't justify being
as hardline with their customers.  So trust me when I say that I've
never seen an IP allocation rejected because some of the need to
separate recursive and authoritative servers.

But even if you could find such an entity, run them on distinct hosts
or distinct Xen instances.  There's no plausible way to reject 1-ip-
per-host.

Given that most of us on IP helpdesks are having to spend all day
rejecting people who want MySQL to have its own IP, Mail to have its
own IP, DNS to have its own IP, etc etc /28 for each and every host,
this falls way way below the radar.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness