[dns-operations] DNS issue accidentally leaked?

Rodney Joffe rjoffe at centergate.com
Wed Jul 23 01:47:06 UTC 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 12:58 PM, David Conrad wrote:
> Has anyone considered doing a survey of the open resolvers out their
> to determine the percentage that remain vulnerable and tracking that
> percentage over time?

A couple of days ago we examined out list of mumble/mumble tens of
millions of open recursive servers identified some months ago as part
of jtk's project.

Less than 405,000 of them responded this time around (*not* because
they've been closed, but  we assume because of the nature of the
number of queries to check for the vulnerability which we think
triggered some kind of acl/filtering).

Of the 405,000 that responded, about 300,000 were vulnerable. About
75%. :-(