[dns-operations] Reporting glue as authoritive data -- Bug!

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Tue Jan 29 15:51:05 UTC 2008

I wanted to update my first response to the thread.

I asked the Ultra engineering team about this and found out that this
is not the result of a recent change to the Ultra code, it has been
in place for a long time (how long I don't know).

Additionally, the Ultra engineers are aware of the "totality" of the
issue.  There is a comment in the code that shows awareness of what
is going on, documenting that a broken "ancient $brand_name recursive
resolver, [is] causing our production network to get slammed.  The
purpose of this code is to move glue records from the answer section
into the additional section when giving back a child NS delegation."

Where $brand_name is not BIND.

NeuStar

Think glocally.  Act confused.