[dns-operations] Reporting glue as authoritive data -- Bug!

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Fri Jan 25 15:02:02 UTC 2008

> I assume the DNS implementation on ultradns is buggy.
>
> It respond the glue record in the answer section instead of the additional.

this is what BIND8 did.  atlas also does it this way.  apparently there are
a lot of monitoring stations that complain when an RFC-complaint response
(which is a referral), and ultradns and verisign don't want the complaints.
i've also heard that a number of older recursive servers (among them some
older bind8 and bind4) will just mindlessly repeat the question if they get
a referral, which mindlessly increases overall query volume to the TLD.

BIND9 does what the RFC says, and TLDs who run BIND9 don't seem bothered.

re: