[dns-operations] Reporting glue as authoritive data -- Bug!

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Fri Jan 25 15:47:46 UTC 2008

On 25-Jan-2008, at 09:38, Edward Lewis wrote:

> Although I work for the company that bought up Ultra, I didn't know
> they were doing this until Monday.  Independently, and now
> ironically, I was about to suggest the IETF document responses that I
> have personally labeled 'hybrid' - combination answer and referral.

I think some of the differences in behaviour between BIND9/NSD and the
NUS DNS implementation are operationally problematic, and perhaps
deserve some attention.

I see these kinds of problems escalated towards Afilias through
Afilias registrars, and so there's a selfish component in wanting
these differences to be better-characterised; having said that, I
think this is also of general interest, hence this message.

The NUS practice of exposing glue in the answer section causes
troubleshooting headaches, especially in the case where a single zone
is served by an NS set which includes NUS, NSD and BIND9 servers (like
ORG).

I don't know whether the answer is to do nothing, to endorse both
approaches as being reasonable, to specify that just one approach is
right, or to somehow fix resolvers so that they continue to follow the
delegation even if glue corresponding to the IN/A query appears in the
answer section of the response, but it does seem to me that the
current state of affairs is irritatingly ambiguous.

Joe