[dns-operations] Delegation checking

Florian Weimer fweimer at bfk.de
Fri Jan 18 19:16:12 UTC 2008

* Jo Rhett:

>  From the rest of your post, I think you do.  Let me rephrase: we
> should make the registrant suffer by breaking their web and email
> rather than making us suffer.

Who is "us"?  Registrars?  Registries?

For completely lame delegations that aren't just temporary, it's
probably a good idea to pull the NS records from the parent zone (with
proper safeguards, of course).  But in this case, I fail to see how
anyone suffers, how there's an improvement, and how this could prompt
any action from the registrant.

If just one of the listed servers is lame, I don't think you can
justify a suspension of that delegation.  It doesn't make much sense
from a technical perspective.  It's also quite hard to prove that a
delegation is really lame for large parts of the net.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer at bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99