[dns-operations] Delegation checking (was: Re: Some DNSSEC trivia)

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Thu Jan 10 00:00:13 UTC 2008

On 9-Jan-2008, at 18:41, Mark Andrews wrote:

> 	There is a real dollar cost to registries not performing
> 	these checks.  Doing the check at the registry level will
> 	minimise the overall cost.

There's a real dollar cost to a registry in performing these checks,
and a bigger cost in taking action in response to the observed results.

There's a real dollar cost to a registrar in dealing with a registry
that removes names from the DNS when lame delegations are found,
regardless of whether they receive notification in advance of the
removal of the name.

For a commercial registry or registrar, what is the benefit to the
shareholders of performing such checks and taking corresponding
action? All I see are costs and competitive disadvantage. "It'll save
ISC money" doesn't sound like a winning argument :-)

Personally, I wish there were no lame delegations anywhere in the
namespace, but I struggle to see a business case here. If there's no
commercial motivation for doing it, why would anybody expect it ever
to happen without regulation?

Joe