[dns-operations] Delegation checking (was: Re: Some DNSSEC trivia)

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Jan 9 08:15:46 UTC 2008

> On 9 jan 2008, at 01.22, Mark Andrews wrote:
>
> > 	These are the sorts of checks I'd like to see.  Note this
> > 	is for a IPv4 nameserver.  Adjust as appropriate for a IPv6
> > 	nameserver.
>
> These are the checkes done at for example my service http://
> dnscheck.se/ (I do not have IPv6 connectivity so the IPv6 transport
> checks are not done) plus I do some tests for the email address in the
> SOA, and how many AS numbers the authoritative servers are in.
>
> See for example http://dnscheck.se/log.pl?domain=isc.org&date=last
>
> But, back to what I have found the harder question during the years,
> and that is what should happen if the tests fail? Should the
> delegation be withdrawn?

	I'd say that you give them a grace period to correct the
	faults then withdraw the delegation if the faults are not
	fixed.  If you want to be in the DNS then you need to supply
	correctly configured, rfc compliant nameservers.

	If you are incapable of operating a nameserver correctly there
	are companies that are capable of doing it for you.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org