[dns-operations] Some DNSSEC trivia

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Jan 3 00:13:58 UTC 2008

> At 18:51 +0100 1/2/08, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
> >it's roughly by a factor of 7 larger than .NET.  It might just be
> >possible to serve a DNSSEC-enabled .COM zone using cheap PC hardware. 8-)
>
> I don't think it's been doubted that a DNSSEC-signed .COM could be
> served from a PC.  The beauty of the DNSSEC design is that it is easy
> on the server.  Behind the scenes a lot goes on to achieve that.
> (Perhaps too much goes on.)
>
> Bandwidth and other matters are issues.  The problem has been in
> managing the operational relationships involved in DNSSEC, dealing
> with disruptive middle-ware, and coping with the constant maintenance
> not needed today in DNS.

	Just about all of which can be completely automated.  The only
	thing that can't be is establishing the initial secure delegation.

	Key roll overs can be automated.  Re-signing has been automated.
	Updating of DS records in the parent zone can be automated.

	All it requires is the will to let it happen.  We have the
	building blocks to do it today.