[dns-operations] best way to reprime root-hints?

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Mon Feb 4 20:44:41 UTC 2008

    While fixing some bugs in PowerDNS, I noticed a.root-servers.net no longer
    returns all IP addresses of all root-servers (it gets as far as J). This may
    have been the case for a long time. Instead we now have some AAAA records,
    which is good.

You could ask other servers as well, then you get a different subset. As
of today a query for the ns records of . gives a full response of more
then 512 bytes.

    However, it used to be possible to refresh the root with a single query. I'm
    pondering what is best these days, iterating over all NS records returned to
    get their IP addresses, quering for each of them in turn?

Using EDNS0 with a buffer size bigger then 512 bytes (1400 will do) is
the easiest solution.

	jaap