[dns-operations] Reporting glue as authoritive data -- Bug!

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Feb 1 11:06:19 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:50:27AM -0500,
 Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz> wrote
 a message of 275 lines which said:

> Try reporting the problem to the customer support for Ultra and not
> to a public list.  Sometimes it is easier to convince an organization
> to change when the report is from outside than from someone like me
> that reads a list and then reports it internally.  Sounds crazy, but
> it helps.  For one, you get more a more sympathetic response to a
> discreet complaint than one that might be construed as a desire to
> embarrass someone (which is usually the biggest outcome in a court of
> public opinion).

>From my experience, this is more complicated than that. I had my share
of ignored messages, sent in private, which were followed by public
remarks who were able to trigger immediate action.

In the field of security, for instance, security researchers have
learned a long time ago that, if you do not clearly states that you
will go public about a security weakness, your reports are silently
ignored.

So, people are welcome to report ".fr" issues publicly if they
wish. They will be handled without whining about "you nasty guy, you
tried to embarass us" Of course, if the subject of the email is "AFNIC
MORONS BROKE DNS AGAIN!!!", there will be some delays :-)

> Customer Support
> Email: ultrasupport at neustar.biz
> Phone: (888) 367-4820

It is only for NUS paying customers, I presume? As a registrant of a
".org" domain, or as an ordinary user who wants to resolve names in
".org", can I use this channel? (That's a real question, not made to
embarass someone: who are the customers?)