[dns-operations] conspiracy theories?

Kim Davies kim.davies at icann.org
Tue Apr 22 01:00:33 UTC 2008

On 21/04/2008, at 5:39 PM, T.Suzuki wrote:

> For example, AC,IO,SH,TM were in dangerous state for several years.
> In some years, AC and IANA did not know this problem.
> Then, IANA should have known it in Aug 2005.
> Finally, the mistake was corrected in May 2007.
>
> Is this a conspiracy ?
> ;-)

I'm not quite sure what kind of conspiracy this would suggest...

As perhaps sub-optimal as it may be to some, IANA does not proactively
change root zone delegations if it notices a mismatch or error in a
delegation. We are reliant on top-level domain operators to confirm
timely updates to delegation data with us. Many TLD operators have
expressed a strong view that it is in their prerogative how they
configure their authorities, and IANA's role should be limited to
performing a minimal set of technical tests only when change requests
are being evaluated.

kim