[dns-operations] Reducing AS112 traffic

Sidney Faber sfaber at cert.org
Mon Nov 19 15:25:24 UTC 2007

(1) should have been:
Create in-addr.arpa zones for private address space as per
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-default-local-zones-02
Sorry for the confusion.

I'm really interested in your response to Paul's comment, this was based
on
http://ietfreport.isoc.org/idref/draft-jabley-as112-being-attacked-help-help/,
para 7, and Joe's given an example of at least one unintended
consequence.  Should this never be a recommendation?

   Possible measures which might be taken to prevent these queries
   include:
   2.  Block reverse DNS queries to the AS112 servers from leaving the
       site using firewalls between the site and the Internet.  Although
       this might appear to be sensible, such a measure might have
       unintended consequences: the inability to receive an answer to
       reverse DNS queries might lead to long DNS lookup timeouts, for
       example, which could cause applications to malfunction.