[dns-operations] [QUAR] Reducing AS112 traffic

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Nov 12 21:32:09 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 03:17:17PM -0500, Sidney Faber wrote:
>>
>> It's resource-expensive to run a site-local AS112 system.  At a minimum,
>
> I think http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-default-local-zones-02
> doesn't say "run a local AS112" system.  It says "here are zones you
> should serve, as empty zones."  At least, that's what I read there.
> I'm known to be mistaken about these things sometimes, though.

Yes, that's what it says.

Sidney, I'm having trouble understanding your problem space here. Are you
saying, "Given that I cannot control all resolving name servers on my
network, and given that I therefore cannot enforce a policy of serving
empty zones for RFC 1918-related zones, AS112-related zones, etc.; I must
therefore create a solution that will somehow contain queries inside my
network that otherwise would go out to the Internet?"

Doug

--

 	If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough