[dns-operations] FYI: Spotting resolution that came via WINS forwarding

Chris Brookes cbrookes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 02:33:43 UTC 2007

Excuse the noise if this is common knowledge, but I thought I'd share
it since it seems to be news to anyone I explain it to locally: whilst
troubleshooting resolution issues in a Microsoft DNS environment, you
can spot queries that were returned via WINS forwarding pretty easily.
Using dig, query for the same record repeatedly and observe whether
you're getting both the AA flag set and an answer record with a
decrementing cache TTL value on consecutive queries. You shouldn't get
both in normal circumstances, but you do with records that came via
WINS.

Regards

Chris Brookes