[dns-operations] Anycast enhancement, was: Re: Is anyone aware of the Community

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Wed Mar 21 18:38:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 12:00 +0000,
dns-operations-request at mail.oarc.isc.org wrote:
<SNIP>

> >> as most of you know, isc does this today, and as some of you know,
> >> we're
> >> expanding the footprint to include anycast for those TLDs who want
> >> it.
> >
> > PCH does too, already anycasted in ~30 locations.  We're happy to
> > add more
> > TLDs or more locations as requested.
> >
> > (This isn't an either/or choice between ISC and us; several TLDs
> > increase
> > redundancy by using both).
>
> For further completeness, anybody with a zone close in delegation
> distance to the root who desires greater operational, topological or
> geographical diversity in its NS set would do well to ask for
> assistance on this list. There are subscribers on most continents who
> are happy to donate authoritative nameservers to the cause, in
> addition to the fine services operated by both PCH and ISC. Ask and
> ye shall receive.
<SNIP>

So, here's a suggestion to anycasters - under ipv4, you cast a whole
class c (I stand under correction here, and guess ipv6 would be even
more). would it make sense to use virtual server technology (etc xen) to
allow separation of services at a virtual server level? or should this
be left to the application level? my guess is both are applicable.....
(or maybe this is already being done ;-) ) Scaling issues aside of
course.

--Calvin