[dns-operations] 86198 queries per second from BIND 9

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Tue Mar 20 06:02:50 UTC 2007

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, Simon Lyall wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > I'm getting 45,000 qps from a $1200 HP Procurve DL320 G5.  Should be
> > able to get 200,000 qps from a dual quad core xeon for about $5000.
>
> Damn. I've got a little Sunfire [1] and queryperf running locally only
> gets to 12k qps on a single query and 2k qps for a 1000 or so looping
> around [2]. Once I hit that the udp packets drop counters start cranking
> up as the bind process can't keep up.
>
> I suspect I forgot enable the nosuck option. Can you post your config?

Just a little followup to this, I tried 9.4.0 and was seeing about the
same amount of performance as 9.3.2 . However this seemed the vary between
3,000 and 25,000 queries/second depending very much on what sort of queries I was
sending to it. I need to do a little more testing to work out what is
happening.

I'll hopefully post some more if/when things make more sense.

--
Simon J. Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.