[dns-operations] Delegation to IPs?

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Tue Mar 13 13:04:18 UTC 2007

On 13-Mar-2007, at 07:45, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

>> Based on my read of section 3.3.11 of RFC 1035, it seems to me this
>> isn't allowed ...
>
> I agree with you. And BIND or nsd will probably agree, too :-)

It's lexically legal, of course. There's nothing in the protocol
which prohibits numeric labels. So you can expect your authority
server not to blink when loading the zone containing such
delegations; the non-functionality of the whole arrangement stems
from the behaviour of recursive resolvers which will fail to follow
the delegation as the misinformed registrant intended.

Joe