[dns-operations] FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Tue Jul 31 23:14:06 UTC 2007

> >> I.e. I have no idea what *real* problem this solves.
> >
> > Crap to the roots.
>
> Is that a real problem felt by root operators, or a perceived problem
> assumed by others?

i don't consider it an urgent problem, certainly nothing that would make
me suggest that others transfer the zone and serve it locally.  it's a
problem, and folks keep studying the traces and learning the behaviour
of apps and opsys' and networks, and suggesting things like AS112 and
.localhost, and reporting problems to microsoft and apple, and learning
how to do design of things like service discovery.  in other words every
year it's different crap, and we're always at war with the current crap,
and we know that there will be more, new, different crap next year.  but
none of it is urgent, since as crain said, we have to provision for ddos
sized crap, and normal crap is much smaller.

in fairness to malone et al, i think their motive was independence and
occasional bandwidth savings and lower latency to their NXDOMAIN source
for their crap, and if it saves the roots any crap, that's also okay.