[dns-operations] FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

Jason Fesler jfesler at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Jul 31 20:32:17 UTC 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 1:11 PM, Matt Larson wrote:

> I'll second Olafur's suggestion: let's not get bogged down in
> discussing the burden on the root servers.  That's a red herring,
> since they shouldn't be offering outbound AXFR.  Rather, let's discuss
> if a locally served root is a good idea.  If it is, there are all
> kinds of options for distribution.

I'm very interested in this idea; both to reduce unwarranted traffic,
and to also get a faster NXDOMAIN.  I don't think I'd want to propose
a default name server config that did this though.  I have thousands
of name servers that really shouldn't individualy slave that zone,
for instance; but for me to fetch it from a couple of locations, and
in turn feed it to all the resolvers via whatever means (axfr, rsync,
multicast, whatever) seems like a win for me personally.  Having the
largest DNS-(ab)using organizations slave the root zone, seems like
it'd be a win for the root server operators.