[dns-operations] FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

Rodney Joffe rjoffe at centergate.com
Tue Jul 31 20:30:08 UTC 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 1:11 PM, Matt Larson wrote:

> I'll second Olafur's suggestion: let's not get bogged down in
> discussing the burden on the root servers.  That's a red herring,
> since they shouldn't be offering outbound AXFR.  Rather, let's discuss
> if a locally served root is a good idea.  If it is, there are all
> kinds of options for distribution.

It seems to me that the issue to be concerned about is the effect of
changes to the root zone, and what happens to these slaves with
respect to the changes.

People with clue can already slave off the root zone if they want
(and some do).

Do "we" have to be concerned about keeping "the rest" from hurting
themselves?