[dns-operations] DNSWorld conference 2007

Jim Jackson jim.jackson at secure64.com
Fri Jul 13 17:10:11 UTC 2007

Keith Mitchell wrote:
> Jack,
>

>> I am the program chair of the DNSWorld Conference. I believe it time
>> and appropriate to set a couple of things straight. I thank the list
>> owner for giving me this opportunity.
>>

> Thank you for providing some background to your event. I hope that
> something constructive can come out of this discussion.
>
> Speaking for OARC who host this list, I wanted to set out a few points:
>
> - Although OARC is happy to to let all list participants air their views
> on this list, that does not mean we endorse the position of
> anyone in particular.
>
> - There are over 500 individual participants on this list, mostly DNS
> operations professionals and researchers, including many from root
> operators and the 50 largest TLD registries and registrars who include
> most OARC members, up to and including CEO/CTO/COO level. I hope this
> illuminates the relevance of the audience here to your event.
>
> - The focus of this list is DNS operations discussion, but also
> recognizing DNS operations do not exist in a vacuum from e.g.
> DNS policy/governance/legal/commercial/research/abuse issues.
>
> - While information about any events (not just OARC ones) which bring
> value to the community and help the Internet's DNS infrastructure work
> better is very welcome here, I hope we can avoid getting into a
> protracted slanging match about the merits or otherwise of individual
> events or their constituencies. What people want is tangible relevant
> content.
>

>> DNSWorld is not competing with IETF, ISOC, ICANN, Ripe or any other
>> group or entity.
>>

> I note that your conference dates clash with the CENTR meeting in Paris,
> which seems unfortunate, as I'm sure both events are potentially of
> interest to people here at least. Maybe with less insults and some
> dialog things could go better in future.
>
> Regards,
>
> Keith Mitchell
> OARC Programme Manager

I was asked to post this by my management:

We at Secure64 are surprised and somewhat confused to learn that both
our company’s name and the title of our recent eSeminar have been used
as a point of contention in the dialog between Dr. Fisher and the DNS
Operations group. Our seminar has absolutely nothing to do with either
the DNS World conference, or with the discussions taking place on this
mailing list, and we have no idea why we were even mentioned here.

Jim Jackson
Senior Test Engineer
Secure64 Software Corp.