[dns-operations] Karl Auerbach on adding 'millions' more TLD - what do folks think about the operational impact?

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Tue Jan 9 15:21:13 UTC 2007

> > > there never has been a technological limit.
> >
> > That's kind of my thinking, yet Auerbach
> > seems to gloss over those reasons,
>
> Because ICANN keeps spreading FUD about the "security and the
> stability of the Internet", pretending that there is some mysterious
> limit to the number of TLD (of course, they never write down their
> FUD, which is too easily rebuttable).

as a member of ICANN SSAC, i have participated in debates on this topic.
since i have long been record stating that there is no technical limit to
the number of TLD's, these debates are usually short and pointy.  the FUD
on this topic comes from the community, not from ICANN or ICANN SSAC, and
all we have to do is answer it every time it comes up.  things like "but
what about the efficiency level of negative caching if the namespace were
far richer?" and so forth.  my advice is, listen carefully, and answer in
the same tone that The Amazing Randi uses when answering a spoonbender.

but anyway, ICANN's security and stability committee (ICANN SSAC) is not
the source of this problem, it's out in the world and it's from the world,
and ICANN SSAC is just one of the many places it rears its ugly head.