[dns-operations] Karl Auerbach on adding 'millions' more TLD - what do folks think about the operational impact?

Douglas Otis dotis at mail-abuse.org
Mon Jan 8 22:11:05 UTC 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:

> * Roland Dobbins:
>
>> http://www.circleid.com/posts/internet_zombies/
>
> If there are millions of TLDs, it's no longer so easy to run a root
> service instance.  Especially if the change rate is close to what
> we see today in .COM.

The .com TLD already means controlling a domain offers little
assurance of behavior when millions are added daily at virtually no
cost.

> Fortunately, this is not something we need to worry about because
> devaluating TLDs does not make economic sense for any of the
> parties involved.

There might be a desire to introduce ACE TLDs thereby permitting
users to stay within their native language.  Should there be
replications of translated TLDs into various languages, or should
these "internationalized" TLDs be fully independent of their ASCII
counterparts?  Internationalization might have a significant impact
on the number of TLDs, and would be hard to stop.

-Doug