[dns-operations] Cringley wants to replace DNS

Douglas Otis dotis at mail-abuse.org
Mon Feb 26 15:00:02 UTC 2007

On Feb 26, 2007, at 1:30 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 05:45:25PM -0500,
>  Robert Story <rstory+dnsops at sparta.com> wrote
>  a message of 10 lines which said:
>
>> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070222_001749.html
>
> Somewhere between "1984" and "Brave new world". If it is a serious
> proposal, I'm seriously scared. I even prefer ICANN.
>
>> Domain squatting would not be permitted, either.
>
>> Domain dispute resolution would be rapid: one week for evidence
>> presentation, 24 hours to decide, and 24 hours for appeals.
>
>> Pornography sites could only register using the .xxx top-level
>> domain scuttled not long ago by ICANN. Inet\u2019s Terms and
>> Conditions would prohibit child pornography, phishing, fraudulent
>> commercial services, spam, denial of service attacks, and zombie
>> networks.
>>
>> The Inet's e-mail service would incorporate centralized
>> anti-phishing and anti-spam techniques, and would block known
>> spambots.
>
> When engineers want simple solutions to complicated social problems,
> freedom is the first victim...

While creating a new namespace may seem implausible, Microsoft is
currently deploying their own name service that does not require any
centralized registry.  Nothing like ICANN is needed with their new
scheme.  This name resolution service also runs over UDP.  Unlike the
Inet concept, this name service also offers complex IP address
structures needed to navigate through corporate firewalls and NATs,
and yes it can be used by the browser.

-Doug