[dns-operations] Cringley wants to replace DNS

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Feb 26 09:30:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 05:45:25PM -0500,
 Robert Story <rstory+dnsops at sparta.com> wrote
 a message of 10 lines which said:

> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070222_001749.html

Somewhere between "1984" and "Brave new world". If it is a serious
proposal, I'm seriously scared. I even prefer ICANN.

> Domain squatting would not be permitted, either.

> Domain dispute resolution would be rapid: one week for evidence
> presentation, 24 hours to decide, and 24 hours for appeals.

> Pornography sites could only register using the .xxx top-level
> domain scuttled not long ago by ICANN. Inet\u2019s Terms and
> Conditions would prohibit child pornography, phishing, fraudulent
> commercial services, spam, denial of service attacks, and zombie
> networks.

> The Inet's e-mail service would incorporate centralized
> anti-phishing and anti-spam techniques, and would block known
> spambots.

When engineers want simple solutions to complicated social problems,
freedom is the first victim...