[dns-operations] charter, sitefinder, opendns (slashdot today)

Sam Norris Sam at ChangeIP.com
Thu Feb 15 22:52:52 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Vixie" <paul at vix.com>
>> Charter is now stepping on my turf by returning answers I did not approve
>> of.  ...  Could a domain owner sue for copyright infringement in this
>> case?
>
> i think it would be very hard for a domain owner to quantify let alone
> prove
> their damages.  but a class action lawsuit might be feasible.  trouble is,
> the precedent if the suit was won would be applicable against even opendns
> who has an opt-out policy for their NXDOMAIN remapper.  is that what we
> want?

An end user can choose to use OpenDNS or not.  I think that's different than
an ISP forcing a malfunctioning resolver on you.  95% of their customers
aren't technical enough to know what's happening and take the resulting
webpage at face value ('oh, company X must be out of business because I get
this search page on Charter').  For those other 5% they've each individually
made that choice to use someone like OpenDNS or their own.  I made those
percentages up.

Maybe we'll see dns infrastucture on udp/5353 shortly.  Do you think its
feasable for the root servers to listen on more than 1 port?  I know I
know - its a long shot.

Sam