[dns-operations] Update: FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Sat Aug 4 01:26:32 UTC 2007

On Aug 2, 2007, at 2:32 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> Many FreeBSD users have stated publicly and privately that they like
> the change, both individual users and operators of name servers for
> busy networks. One was even kind enough to analyze a month's worth of

Doug, I've watched all of these threads and NOBODY has said that this
is ALWAYS a bad idea.  Some sites will benefit greatly by this change.

However, nearly everyone has said it's a bad idea to churn out on
unsuspecting users.  Because you're not making life better for any of
the big DNS site operators, we churn out our named configurations
from databases and such.  You're just pushing it down to a bunch of
desktop users and sysadmins of singular hosts running default configs
(like randy was)

Please stop arguing over where any given single site benefits from
the change.  That's not the concern.  Never was.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek

Silicon Valley Colocation