[dns-operations] FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Wed Aug 1 02:55:05 UTC 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 7:45 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

>  This change is in the default named.conf, but named is
> off by default in FreeBSD. Users have to take an affirmative step to
> enable it, and they are of course able to make changes to named.conf
> as they see fit.

I'm not a root server operator, but a) I'm not so sure this is a good
idea in the first place (see previous discussion), b) a change of
this type should =not= be made by any OS vendor/maintainer without
consulting with the operational community, IMHO, and c) the fact that
you're abruptly changing default behavior in this manner - even non-
default-enabled default behavior - is extremely troubling, and seems
completely at odds with the nuanced, conservative approach taken by
FreeBSD over the years.  My (unsolicited, heh) advice would be to
change this behavior immediately, perhaps providing a commented-out
example in named.conf, but -not- making it the default when folks
enable DNS on their FreeBSD boxes.

Just my opinion, FWIW.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

	Culture eats strategy for breakfast.