[dns-operations] "Top 20 DNS server map shows US internet dominance" (pingdom)

Duane Wessels wessels at packet-pushers.com
Wed Apr 25 20:11:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Paul Vixie said:

> http://royal.pingdom.com/?p=125

This is pretty strange for a number of reasons.

Mostly it shows who is in domain squatting/typo/after- market.  Not too
surprising that the U.S. leads this greedy business.

Second, I'd say there are numerous ways to think of the "size" of
a nameserver (query rate, hardware requirements, memory usage,
number of zones served).  And we all know that these squatters can
and often do serve all their domains with a single wildcard RR.

The last comment about east/west coast is funny too.  Its no surprise
that popular nameservers are located where there is a lot of Internet
infrastructure.