[dns-operations] operational impact of empty MNAME and RNAME?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Thu Oct 5 21:35:35 UTC 2006

Joe Abley wrote:
> Hey,
>
> For a zone which definitively doesn't support dynamic updates, the
> MNAME field in the SOA RDATA seems extraneous.
 >
> Similarly, adding an additional stream of spam by putting real data
> in the RNAME field seems to verge on the pointless.

I agree with other posters that having a real address here has enough
benefits to outweigh the costs of a little more spam. I would be sort
of interested to see what the results would be of testing this theory
though. :)

> Has anybody tried hosting a prominent zone with these fields empty
> (e.g. specified as "." in a BIND9 zone file)?

I did a lot of research on this when I was at Yahoo!, and came to the
conclusion that The Right Thing To Do was to put in a name in one of
the domains that I controlled, and have that name resolve to
127.0.0.1. I also added a long TTL for that name, since it wasn't
going to change any time soon.

 > Was there any negative operational impact?

None. Not a single phone call, card, letter, etc. with hundreds of
millions of windows clients exposed to this solution in all the
various areas that I deployed it.

However, in the really annoying but non (DNS) operational impact
category, I had pushback from several ccTLD registries saying that the
MNAME field MUST contain the same hostname as the first NS record. The
registries that required this were bad enough, but I could fix that
fairly easily by making those TLDs a special case in my zone
generation script. What really used to chap my hide was the registries
who would not only require this for the zone file of the domain I was
actually registering (or updating, etc.) but would ALSO recurse into
the zone where the name server hostnames were located (which was
always yahoo.com) and require that the MNAME field in THAT zone match
the first NS record as well.

The good news is that there are very few registries that require this,
and some have even relaxed their policies in this area. The bad news
is that the ones that were not flexible had to be appeased, which
meant manually adjusting things to suit them. If you're not
registering a sufficient quantity of ccTLD names in these registries
to trip over this problem, lucky you. I include it here for
completeness sake.

I should also point out for completeness sake that those who've taken
up the mantle of Yahoo! DNS do not seem to have continued my practice,
probably as a result of the registration problems I mention above
(since they do still register a large number of ccTLD domains).

hth,

Doug

--
     If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough