[dns-operations] operational impact of empty MNAME and RNAME?

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Wed Oct 4 21:26:11 UTC 2006

* Joe Abley:

> For a zone which definitively doesn't support dynamic updates, the
> MNAME field in the SOA RDATA seems extraneous.
>
> Similarly, adding an additional stream of spam by putting real data
> in the RNAME field seems to verge on the pointless.

Both configurations seems to fairly common.  If there is any breakage,
the operators obviously cannot attribute it to them. 8-/

There are far more severe SOA-related misconfigurations out there,
without any observable operational impact, so I would be somewhat
surprised if your proposed configuration resulted in any problems.