[dns-operations] [from nanog] in.dnsbl.org must not be used for mail filtering

Rick Wesson wessorh at ar.com
Wed May 31 05:14:23 UTC 2006

David Ulevitch wrote:
> Mark didn't mention it but there is some discussion about making it
> non-public (I support this).  It isn't to close out data from the
> public -- it's because whenever we find out about someone "public"
> using it they are using it in a terribly stupid way and have no
> understanding of what the in.dnsbl.org zone is for.
>
> Is *anyone* out there using it for something?  Please let me know if
> you are using the zone and what for. (Rick, I remember you mentioned
> wanting a copy, ever get it?).

we will (i just got access) use it as another hint on the RHS of things. I have not done enough
research on the zone to know exactly where it fits in with things. I've always understood it is
valuable to some registrars but havn't learned how it can be leveraged yet.

one thing that comes to mind is where are the codes to decode the responses?

ie what does 127.0.0.{3,4,5,6} mean?

on using the zone for blocking spam, i wouldn't.

-rick