[dns-operations] CoDoNS and the future of Internet governance (Was: DNS Ops Pre-NANOG Meeting

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon May 15 07:38:13 UTC 2006

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 07:55:13AM -0400,
 Andrew Sullivan <andrew at ca.afilias.info> wrote
 a message of 37 lines which said:

> 2. Afilias is responsible for the resolution: for any cases where
> we're doing technical services for a registry, including one we
> operate, one of the services we agree to is the DNS.  We subcontract
> some DNS services.  Just like any subcontracting relationship,
> however, the responsibility remains with us.

Analogies are a wondeful thing but they always have limits :-) OK, to
try with another Internet-related example, what about IP address
allocation? There is an allocation root (the RIR system) but no
resolution root (the RIRs make very clear that they are not involved
in BGP announcements, routability, etc). Is it better to illustrate
the difference between an allocation root and a resolution root?